2012年6月14日 星期四

電影『春風化雨』(Dead Poets Society)(直譯:死亡詩社)的重要精神(下)

tokyohot  音速小子  tokyo hot

dead poets society (1).jpg  

運動競技場中感人的運動家精神也被基亭老師拿來鼓勵年輕學生們:

For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel.
對我來說,運動隻是一種讓其他人把我們推向極緻的機會。
Oh to struggle against great odds. To meet enemies undaunted.
與逆境不屈抗爭,以無畏的氣勢面對敵人。
To be a sailor of the world, bound for all ports.
做一個世界的水手,遊遍所有的港口。
Oh, I live to be the ruler of life, not a slave.
我要做生活的主宰,而不是奴隸。
To mount the scaffolds. To advance to the muzzle of guns with perfect nonchalance.
走上絞刑台,面對行刑的槍口,我息安之如泰。
To dance, clap hands, exalt, shout, skip, roll on, float on.
舞蹈、鼓掌、興奮、歡叫、跳躍、飄飄蕩蕩、滾滾向前
Oh, to have life henceforth the poem of new joys.
哦,讓生活從此變成一首歡樂的詩。
To indeed be a god! 
做一個真正的上帝!

Sometimes the most beautiful poetry can be about simple things. Just don't let your poems be ordinary.
主題簡單無妨,隻是不要太俗套。(你可以寫平凡的事物,但別讓你寫的詩平凡。)
關於惠特曼的評論:(電影裡好多惠特曼,喜歡惠特曼的人應該會超開心)

I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world.
"
站在世界屋脊上,我喊出我野性的狂叫"
a sweaty-toothed madman. 
一個牙齒流汗的瘋子
I close my eyes. this image floats beside me. 

我閉上眼睛,他的形象在我眼前晃悠
A sweaty-toothed madman with a stare that pounds my brain. 

一個牙齒流汗的瘋子,瞪得我心怦怦直跳
His hands reach out and choke me. 

他伸出手,掐信我的脖子
all the time he's mumbling. Truth. 

他一直在念叨真理
Truth is like, like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. You kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying to the moment we leave dying, it will just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
真理就像一床總讓你雙腳冰涼的毯子;你怎麼扯,怎麼拽,總也不夠;踢也好,打也好,它總也蓋不住我們,從我們哭著降生,到我們奄奄一息,它隻會蓋住你的臉,不管你如何痛苦,不管你如何痛苦,如何叫喊。
Robert Frost;I want you to find your own walk right now. Your own way of striding, pacing. Any direction. Anything you want. Whether it's proud, whether it's silly, anything. Gentlemen, the courtyard is yours.
羅伯特弗洛斯特:希望你們也找到自己的路,找到自己的步伐、步調,任何方向,任何東西都行,不管是自負也好,愚蠢也好,什麼都行。
You don't have to perform. Just make it for yourself.
你們用不著表演,完全為你自己
Swim against the stream.
要敢於逆流而上。

<哦.船長,我的船長>是惠特曼為紀念林肯總統而作,大鬍子林肯在當時尚未有「族群平等」的觀念時,以廣闊的胸襟企圖變革,猶如掌舵的船長引領平民向前走。基亭老師希望學生們稱呼他為Oh ,captain ,my captain而不是老師(這個名稱好聽很多)。電影最後,基亭老師要離開教職,學生們記取「要用不同的角度看事情」的師訓,站到書桌上送別他們心中的Oh ,captain ,my captain!!(看到這一幕大概沒有人不落淚的)

 以下是Oh ,captain ,my captain!全詩:

Oh ,captain ,my captain!--Walt Whitman

哦.船長,我的船長!--惠特曼

Oh Captain! My Captain! Our fearful trip is done,

哦.船長,我的船長!我們險惡的航程已經告終,

The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,

我們的船安渡過驚濤駭浪,我們尋求的獎賞已贏得手中。

The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,

港口已經不遠,鐘聲我已聽見,萬千人眾在歡呼呐喊,

While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;

目迎著我們的船從容返航,我們的船威嚴而且勇敢。

But Oh heart! heart! heart!

可是,心啊!心啊!心啊!

Oh the bleeding drops of red!

哦.殷紅的血滴流瀉,

Where on the deck my Captain lies,

在甲闆上,那裏躺著我的船長,

Fallen cold and dead.

他已倒下,已死去,已冷卻。

Oh Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;

哦,船長,我的船長!起來吧,請聽聽這鐘聲,

Rise up -for you the flag is flung -for you the bugle trills,

起來,旌旗,為你招展;號角,為你長鳴。

For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths-for you the shores crowding,

為你.岸上擠滿了人群;為你,無數花束、彩帶、花環;

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

為你,熙攘的群眾在呼喚,轉動著多少殷切的臉。

Here, Captain! dear father!

這裏,船長!親愛的父親!

This arm beneath your head;

你頭顱下邊是我的手臂!

It is some dream that on the deck

這是甲闆上的一場夢啊,

You've fallen cold and dead.

你已倒下,已死去,已冷卻。

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,

我們的船長不作回答,他的雙唇慘白、寂靜,

國小一年級

My father does not feel my arm , he has no pulse nor will;

我的父親不能感覺我的手臂,他已沒有脈搏、沒有生命,

The ship iCadenass anchor'd safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;

我們的船已安全拋錨碇泊,航行已完成,已告終,

From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;

勝利的船從險惡的旅途歸來,我們尋求的已贏得手中。

Exult, Oh shores! and ring, Oh bells!

歡呼,哦,海岸!轟鳴,哦,洪鐘!

But I, with mournful tread,

可是,我卻輕移悲傷的步履,

Walk the deck my captain lies,

在甲闆上,那裏躺著我的船長,

Fallen cold and dead.

已倒下,已死去,已冷卻。 

註一:惠特曼(Walt Whitman)是很有八卦聊的大詩人:1全家幾乎都是瘋子或智能不足,獨獨出了他一個全美國最有名氣的大詩人。2有兩個哥哥,一個名字是喬治‧華盛頓,另一個叫做湯瑪士‧傑佛遜,他們都發瘋了。(He had two brothers one named George Washington Whitman and the other one Thomas Jefferson Whitman. They both became insane.)

註二:除紫色字體,翻譯對白皆引用自網路。

春風化雨, Dead Poets Society, 死亡詩社, 基亭, 詩, 惠特曼, 羅伯特‧弗洛斯特, 船長, 林肯總統, 喬治‧華盛頓, 湯瑪士‧傑佛遜, Think different, 奧斯卡, whitman, captain, robert frost

沒有留言:

張貼留言